Tuesday 29 March 2016

10mm Napoleonics - The Planning

In between all the preparations for this coming weekends Crisis Point V event which will see lots of 20mm moderns fighting over the fictional Black Sea country of Andreivia I have been planning a new project which will involve 10mm Napoleonics. I have some 15mm Napoleonics which I will still continue to collect but I am keen to try out a few different rulesets. While painting 20mm Turkish Modern Infantry (I used Britannia Vietnam figures) I have been watching the great Black Powder and Blucher AAR videos from Kurtus Brown of Tabletop Commanders fame. I have ordered a few figures from Pendraken and have been looking at different basing methods to suit all the rulesets I plan to use (Black Powder, Blucher and Grande Armee). This is what I have come up with so far and would welcome any suggestions or comments.

I really liked the look of the Blucher games that Kurtus posts on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygFI3GMnv_I&index=3&list=PLDXX1Xs-oSbUCB51x7rHVWSUXQ7ytQxSX&ab_channel=KurtusBrown but one thing I found looking at other blogs and videos is I that I didn't like some of the basing. If a base was to represent a Brigade in game turns only having a small amount of figures on a large base didn't look right in my opinion. I read somewhere that in the UK the convention at Blucher competitions using 6mm figures was to use a 60mm x 30mm base with 24 figures on. So I have drawn up an idea of how I plan to base my figures using 75mm x 75mm (3" x 3") square sabot bases and four 30mm x 30mm square bases to represent the 2 regiments/4 battalions of a brigade. The 75mm square bases will work for Blucher and Grande Armee and then for Black Powder I will just use the 30mm x 30mm square bases without the sabot base.

First up will be the 25th Wurttemberg Infantry Division
1st Brigade (1st Line & 4th Line)

Then we have the 2nd Brigade
(2nd Line & 6th Line)

Finally the 3rd Light Brigade with 2 Battalions of Light Infantry and 2 Battalions of Jagers.

I am planning on attaching a dice holder from Minibits at the rear of each 75mm square base I think there should be room and maybe a unit designation label.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks for looking.



No comments:

Post a Comment